Thursday, January 20, 2011

Part 4: How to Live on Less - Stockpiling

Stockpiling – What is it and why is it so important?

Definition of Stockpiling:  A supply stored for future use, usually carefully accrued and maintained.
Once you understand the concept behind stockpiling, you will know where your foundation for savings will be coming from.
Before my couponing days, I would go to the grocery store weekly and buy what we needed. I would wait until we were almost out of an item and then put it on my list to buy that week. This was what I grew up with and all I ever knew.
Until, our financial state became so desperate that I had to learn a new way.




Buy what is on sale (and use a coupon) when it is on sale – whether you need it right now or not. I am referring to items you will use up in the near future – shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deodorant, razors, cereals, crackers and so forth.
For example, this week at Walgreens you can get a money-maker deal on Old Spice and Gillette body wash. I have plenty of body wash on hand – I don’t need body wash. However, getting it for Free or in this case a money-maker – why wouldn’t you get it now? Wouldn’t you agree that if I waited until I needed body wash, that this deal would not be available and I would be paying about $4? By doing the deal now, I am saving at least $4 (actually more because I have a BOGO coupon and a $1 off coupon).
By buying these items for your stockpile when they are free or cheap, you are saving your family a ton of money each month.
There are times where you can get items for free, that maybe your family doesn’t like or use. Consider getting these items and donating them to your local food bank. Or, if you have some items that won’t get used before an expiration date, donate those as well. Remember, your savings can be a blessing to other families as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment