Tuesday, April 5, 2011

31 Ways to Save on Your Grocery Budget: Tip #25


TIP #25 – SIMPLY PUT, USE EVERYTHING!
I remember watching the Rachel Ray show before when she’d have these segments called “Bottom of the Jar” recipes. She would take little bits of something that most people would throw out and use it in another recipe.
One of the ones my Mom taught me to use is bottom of the bag Doritos to make Taco Salad. (To add an extra little kick, use Jalepeno Doritos!).  She also taught me to save all my veggie scraps to boil and make veggie or chicken stock!  I use the cut off onion, celery leaves, tomato scraps, potato skins, etc, boil in a stock pot with water till it is all mush, strain and whoala!  Veggie stock.  I freeze EVERYTHING in ice cube trays becuase if I only need a little I can pull out one "ice cube" for 1 oz serving.  Or 10 cubes for broth in my crock pot!
So before you throw out those “scraps” ask yourself if you couldn’t turn it into something new! By using everything, you’ll start saving on your grocery budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment