Friday, March 4, 2011

31 Ways to Save on Your Grocery Budget: Tip #4


Tip #4 – Inventory Often To Avoid Expired Food
Nothing is more aggravating to me than to work hard to find a great deal on something and only have to throw it away because it “slipped through the cracks” and expired. Not only is it money out the window but if you don’t notice it expired, it can really throw a meal plan for that day out the window!
I try to check my inventory often. Prior to my second child, I had a day circled on the calendar each month as “Inventory Day” and I’d check stock and pull out the soon-to-be expired. I don’t get to it quite that often now. But, I have found a temporary solution. In my pantry, I have a separate area for the “soon-to-bes.” And those are the first things that I work into the next weekly menu plan. So far, it seems to be working. But I’ll go back to my monthly inventory day here real soon.
To me, each time I sadly have to throw away an expired item, it feels like I’m holding a burning dollar bill in my hand, watching it turn into ashes. Don’t let yourself waste money unnecessarily. Inventory often! And do like they do at the grocery stores, those that expire first, go in the front!
Hope this one helps.

Tune in tomorrow for Tip #5.

No comments:

Post a Comment