Wednesday, March 16, 2011

31 Ways To Save On Your Grocery Budget: Tip #16


TIP #16: FREEZER OR ONCE-A-MONTH COOKING
One of the biggest ways that I save money on our grocery budget is by doing a little “freezer cooking.” This is where you either make up extra food at meals and freeze the extra for later use or you have a once-a-month cooking session and make up several meals for the month and freeze them.
I’m hoping that I can eventually do a once-a-month session each month but for now, I’ve managed to get one in about every 3 months. I then do little mini-sessions during the times in-between. When I make up meals, such as chili, I’ll double the batch (by using ingredients from my stockpile that I’ve gotten on sale) and then freeze the extra meal.
I’ll then work these frozen meals into my Weekly Menu Plan. The night before, I’ll put them in my fridge to thaw. It’s great because I basically get nights off from cooking.
By getting in some freezer cooking each month, you’ll grow a nice supply of frozen meals that can turn into a quick meal, preventing you from ordering take-out or grabbing for those convenience foods. All of these reasons can help keep your grocery budget lower!
For those of you looking to start freezer cooking, here are some of books of reference:
The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmet: A Month of Meals Made Easy
Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving – More than 125 Recipes
Don’t Panic – Dinner’s in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead
Once-a-Month Cooking, Revised and Expanded: A Proven System for Spending Less Time in the Kitchen and Enjoying Delicious, Homemade Meals Every Day
The Everything Meals For A Month Cookbook: Smart Recipes To Help You Plan Ahead, Save Time, And Stay On Budget (Everything: Cooking)
Tune in tomorrow for Tip #17.

No comments:

Post a Comment