Friday, March 18, 2011

31 Ways To Save On Your Grocery Budget: Tip #18

Brooke this is for you!



TIP #18 – Try To Work In Some Crockpot Cooking
If I had to pick a small kitchen appliance as my favorite, I’m pretty sure I’d have to say my crockpot. I love throwing in a few ingredients and knowing supper’s done! And the aromas that fill the house throughout the day are delicious!
Now you might be asking how you can save with a Crockpot? Well, there are a few ways. First, since most crockpot meals take 6-8 hours, you have to begin them in the morning. This makes you think about supper early and prevents the temptation for take-out. Second, since the food basically marinates all day, you don’t need as many ingredients to make a really great recipe. And last, since meats cook all day, you can buy tougher, inexpensive cuts of meats and still have a tender, juicy meal when it’s all done.
Now, don’t think you can only make soups and roasts, etc in them. You’d be amazed at what you can cook in a crockpot! One of my all-time favorite cooking websites is A Year of Crockpotting. I wish I had hours and hours to just read every recipe. But my favorite one I’ve tried so far is Crockpot Applesauce. It’s not only yummy but super-amazing smelling! Next time you have guests over, make up a pot of this before hand and it will fill your house with a smell that everyone will want to dig into! (Who needs air freshners!):)
Another one to try is JustSlowCooking.com. There are several out there. Just do a Google on “Crockpot Recipes” and you’ll be amazed at what comes up.
Crockpot cooking keeps you planning ahead and allows you to use fewer ingredients and inexpensive meats. All of these add up to $$ saved on your grocery budget.
What’s your favorite thing to make in the Crockpot?
Tune in tomorrow for Tip #19.

No comments:

Post a Comment